Football Hits the Field
Terps hold the first of 15 spring workouts this past Tuesday afternoon
COLLEGE PARK, MD. - Winter workouts are now in the rearview mirror for the Maryland football team.
After two months of working in the off-season conditioning program, the Terrapins finally got a chance to get on the football field Tuesday afternoon as the team worked out in shirts and shorts.
"It was a typical first day, some good and some not so good, but this was a good starting point," first-year head coach Randy Edsall said. "The players and coaches now understand the kind of tempo and intensity that we're going to have on the field."
The two-hour session marked the first of 15 spring workouts for the Terps who return 46 letterwinners, including 14 offensive and defensive starters, from last season's 9-4 squad.
"We got a lot covered, especially on special teams," Edsall said. "We worked on punting drills and trying to find out who some of our specialists will be. We also worked on first and second down, red zone and the two-minute drill."
The Terps will practice in shirts and shorts again Thursday before donning the pads for Saturday's workout.
"Overall, it was a good day," Edsall said. "We worked on a number of situations. We're going to continue to focus on getting better and adding to the installation process."
The Terps will practice three times a week as the sessions conclude with the annual Red-White game on Saturday, April 30 at Capital One Field at Byrd Stadium.
Kickoff is set for 3:30 p.m. EDT with the game serving as the culmination to Maryland Day, a university-sponsored campus open house. Admission is free to both the game and the day's activities.
Practices leading up to the spring game are closed to the public.
Tuesday News Conference Quotes
Maryland players visited with the media Tuesday at the Gossett Team House
COLLEGE PARK, Md. - A number of Maryland football players visited with the media Tuesday afternoon at the Gossett Team House, prior to going on the field for the first spring practice.
Senior Defensive Back Cameron Chism
On his expectations for the first practice:
"Everything will go fast. Run to the ball, sprint to the ball, not lows, just sprint to the ball. There's going to be no passing so they're going to be looking for a lot of running. So I'm ready."
On some of the changes this year:
"We have a new strength and conditioning program. I kind of like that too. It's less weight but more reps, and you get the whole body... I like this program."
On Coach Edsall:
"I like that he's a down to business guy. He obviously wants to win. That's what we all want to do. I guess he's doing everything that he can to get us to that goal."
Senior Running Back Davin Meggett
On the excitement on the upcoming season:
"We're very excited. We're really looking forward to today's first practice, see what we've got, see where we're at and see how far we can go from here. This is a very, very important day. We're actually out here to try to get better, trying to get prepared for Miami."
On Danny O'Brien's play and how that opens up the running game:
"Especially with the new scheme we have, great o-line and a great operator. I'm optimistic. The sky is the limit as far as what our running possibilities are, especially with the depth in the backfield. It will be very interesting."
On the returning offensive players:
"We have Danny [O'Brien] coming back. The o-line comes back. A lot of strong receivers come back. Again the backs are the same. We lose [Da'Rel] Scott which will hurt us at first but we should be able to overcome. We should be fine."
Sophomore Quarterback Danny O'Brien
On learning a new offense:
"It's a process. It's probably tougher than learning your first offense because you have all the terminology from last year in there. But a lot of it is pretty similar. It's just getting the terminology down. We've been working hard, getting ready for spring ball. We're pretty deep into it right now. We're just ready to get out there see the new practice, tighten those legs. It's going to be new for us, new for the coaches. But I think the overall feel to sum it up in one word is to be excited."
On the new offense:
"I think we're going to be a little faster tempo, but I think as far as what we do it's going to be pretty similar. We're going to get the ball to our athletes, which I think any good coach does. Get the ball to them in space, let them make plays, and I think we're going to play a little faster tempo-wise. But like I said we're still waiting to see also. It's new to us so I'm ready to get out there and see what I'm about to do."
On his relationship with Coach Edsall:
"He's a guy that immediately commanded our respect. We respect Coach Edsall a lot and we know he's going to take us to where we're trying to get to which is the track record everywhere he's been. We have a lot of talent here, a lot of humble people here who are really hard-working guys who are just a lot of fun to work with. We feed off each other, we have a great relationship. I'm looking forward to actually seeing him coach us."
Junior Defensive Lineman Joe Vellano
On his expectations:
"There are a lot of new faces. It's different on both sides of the ball. We've changed up our defense. I think the biggest thing today is just kind of line up right, play fast, don't do so much thinking on the field. Everybody's really got to get their work in off the classroom... It's new for everybody. I mean offense and defense, and a lot of guys are playing different positions, even if it's playing d-line. Like I played a lot of the nose and the three-down last year, but I'm playing a little more tackle. We had it last year but we didn't run it as much."
NEW MGN Website
The Maryland Gridiron Network has established www.mgnfootball.com as the new official website for the MGN. The site was constructed by MGN member Scott Mason. The site is still being fully constructed and will be updated weekly.